Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Galatians 3 & 4 - Thoughts

But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith." (Verse 3:11)

Paul quotes from Habakkuk 2:4 where we see Habakkuk struggling with God in the midst of a terrible time in Israel's history.  Sin and idolatry were prevalent, no one seemed to be seeking the LORD, Israel had been taken captive by the Assyrians and the Babylonian armies were poised to destroy Jerusalem.  Habakkuk asks God, "O LORD, how long shall I cry, and You will not hear?" (Habakkuk 1:2)

Finally, God answers Habakkuk, but not to explain the details of His plan.  He simply tells Habakkuk to have faith.  Faith that the God of the universe is still in control.  We must believe God at his word.  This belief is accounted to us for righteousness just as it was for Abraham. (Genesis 15:6)(Romans 4:3)(Galatians 3:6)(James 2:23).

When we truly grasp this idea, we can put aside our worries and begin to enjoy the freedom we have in Christ.  Legalism usually comes from a lack of trust in God's control.  We think we must do all these things to please God or work harder to help God out of a bind.  God wants to use us, but He doesn't need us.

Lord, please help me to enjoy the freedom You give to me even when I cannot understand it.  Help me to know You are in control and I can rely on Your Spirit to do the work through me and not by my own strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment