Saturday, October 16, 2010

2 Kings 8:1 - 9:13 - Thoughts

Then he set his countenance in a stare until he was ashamed, and the man of God wept. (Verse 8:11)

Elisha saw the evil in Hazael's heart that he didn't see.  Hazael's response was denial rather than repentance (verse 13).  The truth is, we are all capable of evil.  It is only by God's grace that we can do any good.

Part of me is shocked when I read sections of scripture like this.  It is obvious God knows exactly what Hazael will do and the pain it will cause so many,  yet He does not prevent it.  God allows Hazael free will but first uses Elisha to warn him what kind of man he was.  Oh that he would have repented and asked for mercy.  God would have given him grace.

James 1:22-24 tells us that God's word is like a mirror.  It reviles what kind of man or woman we are; the evil inside each one of us.  We then choose to do something about it or go away and immediately forget.

What does God's word show me today about myself?  Am I convicted when I compare myself to the life Jesus demonstrated?  I should be.  God please protect me from the evil that is in my heart.  Show me and help me to be more like Your son.  Fill me with Your Spirit and allow me to bear the fruit of the Spirit, Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment