Tuesday, September 28, 2010

2 Corinthians 8:1-9:15 - Thoughts

For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has , and not according to what he does not have. (verse 8:12)

I grew up in an environment that encouraged pledging and making promises to God to give a certain amount each week or month.  I now know that this is not the heart of God.  We are not to boast for tomorrow and assume we'll have anything to give next week or next month (James 4:13-16).  This is not to say we give God our leftovers.  We are not to do what we want with our resources and give whatever is left to God.  We should give to Him and to His work first, but give from what we have and not from what we don't have.

The idea of giving back to God from the very things He gives to us is a cheerful thought.  Giving is the heart of God, and the desire to give is also a gift from the Holy Spirit.  We love because He first loved us and we give because He first gave to us. (1 John 4:19)  Giving is a demonstration of love. (Romans 5:8)

Oh God, please give me a heart like Yours.  Help me to give of myself daily to Your service, the service of my wife and to those You have placed around me.  Only by Your power am I able to put away the selfishness of the flesh and live as You would have me live.

No comments:

Post a Comment