Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Galatians 5 & 6 - Thoughts

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16)

This verse is so important for the Christian desiring to walk in the ways of God.  Usually we get this backwards.  We want to say, "If I can simply not fulfill the lust of the flash, then I'll be able to walk in the Spirit."  This just doesn't work.  We are incapable of saying no to our flesh.  We were born with a sin nature and sinning comes natural.  Only by the power of the Holy Spirit are we able to love others more than ourselves.

Paul continues in chapter 5 to give a list of fleshly and spiritual characteristics in our lives.  The ultimate fruit of the God's Spirit living in us is our ability to love others.  This is an unselfish love which crosses ethnic and cultural boundaries and will be a sign to all that we are different.

I must continue to ask myself, "Am I walking in the Spirit?  Am I loving others more than myself?"  If not, I need to ask God for help and a refreshing of His Spirit within me.  Only then will I be able to not fulfill the lust of my flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment