Saturday, November 13, 2010

2 Kings 15:8 - 16:20 - Thoughts

Ahaz said, "I will not ask, nor will I test the LORD!" (Isaiah 7:12)

It may seem odd that I'd quote Isaiah while speaking on 2nd Kings, but this passage was written during this same time in history.  We get a glimpse of what was going on with Ahaz and his heart.  You see, God offered to deliver Judah from the northern kingdom and Syria, but Ahaz had another deliverer, the Assyrians.  Ahaz had made a treaty with Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria rather than turning to the true and living God.

God still delivers Judah, but Ahaz misses out on a huge blessing and Assyria begins to gain strength and will eventually cause all sorts of problems for Judah and take Israel captive.

God loves to deliver us from our troubles if we throw up our hands and turn our lives over to Him.  As long as we continue to try and make treaties with the world, God will let us try and sort things out for ourselves.  Unfortunately, all we are really doing is selling ourselves to the world and eventually becoming their captive.

Lord, please deliver me from my pride, selfishness and independence.  Help me to be dependent more and more on You as I realize that without you I can do nothing. (John 15:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment