Sunday, August 22, 2010

1 Kings 19 - Thoughts

This chapter deals with the depression, disappointment and discouragement that can come from our missed expectations. Does God want us to have expectations? I believe the answer is yes and no...

What should we be expecting?
- Jesus' return
- God's faithfulness
- Principles such as reaping and sowing being true

Basically, anything in God's word that is a promise or principle we can EXPECT to be true and count on it. Anything outside may be dangerous. I believe God wants us to dream and desire to see "big" things happen for the kingdom, but we cannot allow these to be expectations because God may not work the way we think He should. As a matter of fact, He usually doesn't.

If I trace back all the times I've been discouraged, depressed and disappointed, I can always find a point in my life where I've set up my own expectations of how things should be or how things should go.

May we be men and women who dream of God's work impacting our world in a mighty way, but allow Him to do what He wants to do with us and find contentment in knowing how much He loves us and wants good for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment