Friday, February 3, 2017

Matthew 23:1- 23-39 Thoughts

This chapter is full of warnings.  Each one I can see in my life and I must continuously deal with them.  While thinking about teaching these, I think about Isaiah.  He was peaching, by the Spirit, in Isaiah chapter one through five declaring woes to the people of Israel and Judah.  This was justified and accurate.  However, it is so easy when pronouncing woe's on others to have an attitude of anger, disgust and frustration.  Perhaps Isaiah was feeling this as well.

But, in chapter six of Isaiah, he is given a glimpse of God and His glory.  I love what Isaiah then said,
"Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The Lord of hosts.
Sometimes we need to share a woe with someone.  When we share the truth of God's word, it will often be penetrating and cut to the heart.  The important point is to then realise how we are just as sinful and often guilty of the same sin.

At the end of chapter 23, we see Jesus lament over Jerusalem.  I am certain He didn't want to pronounce all these woes, but as a good Father, He must.  Help us to heed the warnings and when sharing woes with others, have compassion.

"Jesus, woe is ME, for I am undone.  Why I'm given any opportunity to share Your word and Your truth with anyone is beyond me.  I am not worthy to point out issues with anyone else's life.  Yet you want us to shine the light on each other and sharpen one another.  So, please help us to have compassion and love as we share truth with our bothers and sisters.  Help us to practice what we preach and rely more and more on Your Holy Spirit.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment