Friday, November 11, 2016

Matthew 12:33 - 13:23 Thoughts

This week has two main parts.  The first half is the closing sections dealing with the misconceptions of Jesus and His ministry.  The second half deals with the first parable, the parable of the sower.

Since I'll be dealing with parables again next week, I'll leave that out of this post and focus on the closing section of chapter 12.

I like to contemplate the heart of Jesus as he deals with the people around Him.  It would have been so easy for Him to ignore the Pharisees or simply ridicule their hard hearts.  But I see Jesus trying many ways to show them the errors of their ways with a perfect balance of truth and love.

After Jesus explained how peoples hearts are reveled by their words (v33-37), the Pharisees ask for a sign (v38).  If I were Jesus, I would have said, "Close your trap!"  I'm so glad Jesus is Jesus and not me!  Instead, Jesus gives them truth "evil and adulterous generation" but then goes back to the main issue, the Pharisees thought the were good because they were Jewish.  Jesus gave two examples of Gentiles who are better off then they are.

We too can fall into the trap thinking we are okay because we are Australian, or Calvary Chapel or Baptist or Anglican.  I go to church every week and read my bible.  But what is in our hearts?  How easy is it to see the evil in our hearts as we speak cruel words to our spouse, kids or neighbours.  I am as guilty as any of my readers.

I pray, "Jesus, help us recognise when our hearts are out of line with Yours.  Help us to repent and please fill us with Your Holy Spirit so we are more like You.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment